Most apple dumpling recipes have you put a whole (skinned and cored) apple in each dumpling. But I have always preferred smaller chunks of apples. I pretty much just make what would be an apple pie filling and pie crust recipe. The only thing I need then is a syrup to pour on top.
I love apple dumplings served with vanilla ice cream, but didn't have any, so I used whipped topping. Still super good!
My sister's son and daughter-in-law are expecting what will be my sister's first grandchild! We are so excited for them and I couldn't wait to give her a special sign I painted:
She visited with Ellie (our second of three grandchildren) her at my "Camp Grandma, Coos Bay Unit" and taught her how to "have tea". She'll be a perfect grandma and she'll love the new title!
Here's my sign, painted 5 years ago (I used to make my signs way smaller then, and on old wood:
Hope you all have a safe and fun weekend!
Here's a basic APPLE DUMPLING recipe, it's the one I use:
1 3/4 cups water
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 Tblspn. butter
THE DUMPLING CRUST:
2 1/4 cups four
1/4 TSP. salt
2/3 cup butter
6 to 8 Tblspn iced cold water
6 apples (skinned, cored, and cut in small bite size pieces)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1. Mix the syrup (EXCEPT the butter) ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer, covered for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
2. Meanwhile mix the crust ingredients and roll out into an 18X12-inch rectangle, then cut into six 6" squares. (Or get close, like I do!)
3. Mix the apple filling ingredients and divide evenly on the 6 cut squares.
4. Pull up the four corners of each square into a pocket, or dumpling. Pitch the edge to keep them closed. Place in a baking pan.
5. Pour the hot syrup over the dumplings.
6. Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until the apples are tender and the crust is lightly browned.
7. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, or whipped topping.
Makes 6 servings.
(Linked to Cindy's My Romantic Home Show and Tell here. , Six Sisters Struf Your Stuff Saturday here, Be Different and Act Normal Show and Tell Saturday here, Tator Tots and Jello Weekend Wrap Up Party here, Blissful and Domestic Feature Friday Link Up Party here, Niffty Thrifty Sunday #29 here, Totally Tasty Tuesday at Mandy's Recipe Box here, Joy of Desserts here,and Frugal Girls Craft Linky Party here.)