Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Heidi's Everyday Sugar Cookie Recipe

ie ReGoogle continues to send their lovely readers to my blog in search of an "Everyday Cookie" recipe.  I thought I'd better deliver and make the post clear.  This post is for my cookie.  Yes, the one I use everyday.  Well, just about everyday!  :)
Here's the recipe:


Heidi's Everyday Sugar Cookies
1 ½ cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter (or margarine)
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
2 ½ cups flour (add more if needed)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar

Mix butter and sugar until creamy; add egg and flavoring; add in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Blend. Refrigerate for one hour.

Roll out dough (in two batches) as thin or thick as you’d like. Remember, the thinner you roll, the crisper the cookie. (I like them thick and soft!) Cut with cookie cutters and place on cookie sheet lined with a Silpat mat, or parchment paper. (Or if no parchment paper be sure to lightly grease your cookie sheet.)

Bake at 375º for 8 minutes (or until done to your likeness…like I said, I like mine thick and soft!).

I almost always double this recipe!


Heidi’s Everyday Easy Cookie Icing
1 egg white
1 cup powdered sugar

Stir very well. You can multiply to make as much as you need, just remember its one to one ratio of egg white to powdered sugar! Divide into bowls to add your various food coloring.

The good thing about this frosting it that it dries hard, making it easy to stack cookies without smearing the icing. Just be sure to wait for it to dry before stacking!

Note:  I now usually use Wilton's Meringue Powder in place of the egg white. (Use 2 teaspoons meringue and 2 Tblspn water in place of the one egg white in the recipe.)



(Pull out some cookie cutters.
These are just a few of my vintage collection.)

(Get some food coloring ready.
This is Jessica about 4 or 5 Christmases ago!)

(Roll your dough nice and thick, like our grandson John Mark did here.
Use your favorite cookie cutter, he selected a CAT. 
Melissa is teaching the kids the alphabet.)

(If you use a Silpat baking mat you will be very happy in the end
when the cookies slide right off!)

(Try not to handle your dough too much.
Refrigerate your dough at least 1/2 hour before using it,
it really does make a difference!)

(Pull out your decorating tips.  You can buy a starter kit for under $10.
Be sure to also purchase the plastic disposable decorating bags.
You'll like the clean up.  This was Jessica decorating cookies one year
for Valentine's Day.  Of course you knew that!)

I think the grandkids are coming over this afternoon. I better get a batch of this cookie dough in the refigerator!  This is one of my recipes Linda included in her Cookie Cookbook.

God has given us so many things that are good....



I'm joining  inn today for Sarah's First Annual  Blog Cookie Recipe Exchange here.
Blessings, Heidi

3 comments:

LuAnn said...

I love your vintage cutters. I collect them also. I also like to pipe icing on too.

SusanD said...

I have some of those same cutters. lol. I'm so trying your recipe. Thanks so much for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

Leaon Mary said...

Your recipe is famous in my book! :) Love the pictures you shared cookie making. Especially of John Mark with his tow truck on the counter. heeheehaahaahoohoo REMINDS me of two lil boys I once had. :D happysigh*
I have never made the frosting like you say with the egg white. But yours sure look pretty! I might have to give it a try. Have a great day Heidi!
Love ya,
Lea