Friday, July 6, 2012

CSI Challenge: Frozen Treats and Push-Up Pops

Want to have weekly challenges?  Start here, at Create Something Inspiring! Each week there is a challenge, sponsors, winners and more!  You can follow CSI on Facebook here.

The challenge given to me for this week’s CSI July Project Tutorial was “Frozen Treats and Push Up Pops”.  Great topic for summer, unless you live on the Oregon Coast, where some are still keeping their wood stoves going this month!  But I have confidence that the sun will shine and Oregon will warm up soon, so I will have my Frozen Treats ready!
(my photo)

I immediately thought of my box of empty TP rolls.  I save them, as you never know when you need 50 empty TP rolls!  I thought they’d be great for this homemade push-up pops challenge.  Challenge it is!  I experimented a little but didn’t quite get that project off the ground—or rather out of the freezer!  I just couldn't wrap my mind around eating something from a TP tube! LOL  I quickly moved on to my next idea.
I’ve seen those Frozen Dots treats once or twice and I thought it’s be great to make those.  However I found I would need an industrial freezer that get’s way colder than mine, as well as some high tech chemistry knowledge.

Then I moved on to making frozen yogurt , homemade.  You know, the kind that comes out of a big tank at the FroYo shop?  Hum, not really possible at home!  But the idea of freezing yogurt IS possilbe. I'd seen some "dots' around online and thought of trying that out. 
I’m pretty sure any yogurt will work, but I only experimented with my favorite, Yoplait.  Put the container of yogurt in the freezer for about a half hour, to firm it up so that you can make use the decorating tips. If you use it right out of the refrigerator it’s too running to do anything but make a glob.

You can use decorating bags or even a plastic Ziploc bag. I buy a the 100 Count box of Wilton’s 12 inch Disposable Decorating Bags and use this all the time, but primarily for my annual Children’s Gingerbread Decorating Party. 

Put your tip in the bag then screw on the holder on the outside of the bag. Cut off the end of the bag for an opening, (Cake Decorating 101 here!).  I set mine in a tall glass (notice the vintage Coke glass) and then fill the bag with yogurt.

Find a cookie sheet, pan or even a plate that will fit in your freezer, then just drop DOTS!  I use Silpat matts for just about all the baking in my kitchen, and now will use them for the freezer dots.  

Pop the dots in the freezer and leave for at least an hour or two.  Done!

Now for a few more variations on this easy project...I thought, “What other dots could I drop?”  It needs to start as something rather thick, not running or watering…
Pudding...Pureed Bananas..Applesauce...I'll let you know how these "pan" out! :)

Now, to futher inspire you on Popsicle making, this is a must save listing:
 30 Homemade Popsicle Recipes... You won't go away dissapointed!

---One other quick idea for children:  Cut a small hole in the bottom of a plastic disposible cup and put their popsicle stick through that to save drippings from getting all over their arm!  NOTE:  this method is also perfect to hold the sparklers on the 4th of July!  (Save that thought for next year!)

(online photo source)
----Or, just use a cupcake holder!
(online source)

----Also, if you are looking for popcicle molds, and you don't have very many store options nearby, just shop Amazon.  Type in "Popcicle Mold" and you'll be AMAZED at all the new molds they make now.  This is the one I'll be ordering, Tovola Groovy Ice Pop Molds.
(I just love the "grooves" and the color--not so bright!)



Thank you for visiting and stay cool!
Blessings!
~Heidi

1 comment:

Pallas said...

You had me really laughing about the TP rolls. My mom used to make popcycles for us when we were kids - she had the Tupperware molds. Wonder why she didn't think of the sparkler shield - still remember the sting from those sparklers some 50+ years later. Ha!