Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tuesday Tip for Painting Texture Tool

When I was a little girl my grandma made me OH SO HAPPY:

(This is my big sister in the swing, but it's my grandma pushing her,
as she may have pushed me, I just don't have a photo of it!
Can you pretend this is me?  Sallie, can I pretend this is me?)


(Now this is me, on the right, and my sister Sallie on the left.
We are standing in front of our grandparent's house;
I have so many good memories of our visit to grandma and grandpa's house.
In the online class I'm taking I've spent a little time going back in time...
to my childhood...)

As a student in Melody Ross's "Soul Restoration" I'm finding out there are some pretty cool things about myself that I didn't even realize.  I'm also learning new art techniques.  (You can't see any of the class projects or techniques, but you can go to the Brave Girl's blog here and see some fun artsy stuff!) I'm inspired to continue to create.  I can't quite figure out how many "student" are in this online class, but there seems to be a lot.  It's actually my first online class experience, and I'm really having fun.  There are parts that actually bring me to tears, but it is part of the growing process.  Before I began I asked God to lead, guide and direct me through this class.  He's been awesome in showing me that the attitude I began with was right:  give Him glory and honor what who I am and what He has made me.  He's shown me some truths that have been in plan sight all my life, but I never SAW them!  The Word opens up to me daily in new ways, with new Truths!

There are weekly projects, journaling, classes, lessons, encouragement and oh- so much more!  I had almost all the tools and supplies needed for the projects, and if I didn't have anything I could have done without, as it's all sort of free that way.  The teacher, Melody is the 6th of 9 children. I love that about her, as I am the 5th of 9 children.  So when she talks about her childhood I can really relate!  One thing she is is very resourceful.  I think that comes from growing up with very little and having to MAKE DO with what you have.  Necessity is the the mother of invention right?

In one of her classes about art techniques she shows a tool that painters use (I guess they use!) that is a small square with each of the four sides having a different edge to make various textures in paint.  When I was in town yesterday I looked for this tool in a few stores without success in finding it. When I got home I had an "ah ha" moment.  Duh, I could MAKE this tool!


(this is the first one I made, using a Cool Whip lid!)

I found a plastic lid and used my various shape edged scissors (like scallped, zig-zag, etc.) to cut the edges simple as that!  For the fourth edge I just cut out little pieces to leave open spaces.   Then I painted on my project and used one of the edges to "drag" back and forth through the paint. 


Here's one of the pages I made:


So, how easy is this?

One other photo I wanted to post is the RED plate stand I painted on Friday.  When I put my "Be Happy" plate on the red stand all the RED in the plate just popped out.  (Look at my previous entry and see how the green in the plate popped out with the green stand.).  Anyway, that was just a quick project...


Are you still happy?  Can you find a blessing in your life? Count your blessings and name them!
   Hugs, Heidi

8 comments:

Gaby said...

I remember learning that paint technique when I was younger. It brings back memories!

Alisa Noble said...

I am so glad the class is going well for you, Heidi!
And how awesome is that (not to mention resourceful) to use a plastic lid!

Amy M. said...

My friend, the Crafty Triathlete, is taking this class. It sounds wonderful!!!

-Amy
Crafting by Candlelight

Birds of a Feather said...

Hi Heidi -

Can you believe it - you were the winner of the Where women Create magazine ~ so send me your addy so I can send it off to you! My email is hkwdesign@verizon.net.

Hugs ~
xo Heidi

InMyOwnStyle said...

Hi Heidi-

What a sweet post remembering your Grandma in such a special way. The photo of your sister is so cute. Her smile radiates and makes me smile just looking at it. I have so many photos of my sister and I just like the one of you and your sister. We were always holding our dolls. :)
My best- Diane

mimi said...

Hello Heidi,
Oh my goodness I have missed reading several of your posts. I am so glad that I took time tonight to catch up with you. I am always so blessed by your posts. I am so glad that you are enjoying your class. I heard about this class through another blog and it does sound wonderful.
Thanks for always sharing so openly of our Father's love--it seems to always be just what I need.
Have a wonderful weekend
xoxox
Mimi

Angela said...

Hi Heidi! Thanks so much for stopping by to say hi on my blog - what a blessing it is to have such sweet ladies leaving me nice messages this evening. I've been interested in the Soul Restoration classes so it's neat to see what you are learning - some great techniques. Also, I'm glad you are willing to let God lead you as you embark on this new class as well. Cute pic of you (uh I mean your sis!!)!

About Cassandra said...

Heidi ~ Thank you for your comment about my paneled thistle Pressed Glass posting. I, too, have found examples at flea markets, thrift stores and estate sales!

I love the picture you posted of you and your sister holding your dolls at your grandparents house. It reminds me of my sister and me staying at our grandparent's house - many happy memories about which I have several postings on my blog! Cassandra ♥