Friday, January 21, 2011

Creating Birthday and Wedding Gifts

One thing about being a crafter is I never am short of ideas for gifts.  In fact, I usually have too many ideas, then take too long deciding, and am late with my gift.  Can you relate?  This year there are 4 weddings that are planned (so far) of friends and family.  I'm going to stay on top of these by beginning to make gifts now!  My favorite wedding gift to make and give is my custom wedding sign.  I'm often not sure about the new couple's color plans but usually a black lettered wording on a cottage white background will fit in most homes.  Here are some examples:


I have done various color combinations, as shown here, white on black, cream on brown, etc.:





 (By the way, I offer these custom family signs for sale in my Etsy store here, or click on the "Always Kiss Me Goodnight" sign on the right side.)

For a birthday gift I'm working on I decided to make a small drawstring tote, to hold some special gifts inside.  The sewing up of the tote was a cinch, but the CINCH (drawstring) was not.  Let's just say, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed!  I didn't want the recipient to have to scrunch up the fabric, I wanted the ribbons ("draws") to actually draw!  When you pull on both side, it cinches up (or draws up).  It took me several tries until I got it to work.  The secret is to cut two lengths, then feed them in on opposite sides of the cassing.  I'd show pictures, but I'll spare you the details. Plus, I somehow messed up my camera card, as the camera is now not reading my card....grrr.

(image from BH&G)
Here's BH&G's site, explaining how to make one, "Easy Cotton Drawstring Bag".


I'll try to post drawstring totes when I get a pile made.  They are wonderful to make ahead of time and stock up for gifts.

Have a HAPPY weekend!  Hugs, Heidi

(Linked to Cindy's Romantic Home Friday Show & Tell)

4 comments:

Wanda Lee said...

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!..,

I love these signs as a wedding gift; what a fabulous idea!..,

The draw string 'giftie bags' are wonderful as awell! Love the fabric you've chosen!

Cheers and hugs from Wanda Lee

Scrap for Joy said...

Your family name signs are a perfect wedding gift...anything personalized is so appreciated. I know I love my sign in my studio!! xoxo
Can't wait to see your bags.
Have a fun-filled weekend!
xoxo
Joyce

Leaon Mary said...

Great signs Heidi! I know they'll LOVE them...!!!
Your drawstring bag is gorgeous! But I have to say, I think you're prolly one of the very sharpest tools in the shed. lol
TRUE STORY!!!
Holykisses xoxo

Wedding Gifts for Bride said...

Personalized are perfect ideas to give in every wedding. Hopefully I could craft like that too ..